Date:      Fri, 6 Feb 2004 12:14:50 +0100
From:      Patrick Proniewski <patpro@patpro.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: via EPIA motherboard

On 06 f=E9vr. 2004, at 11:31, Holger Hoffmann wrote:

> > My main purpose is to setup a small, fanless multimedia playback=20
> freebsd
> > box, so any piece of info is valuable (driver support, computational
> > power, tv-output problems, ...)

> Did that with the 500Mhz box, playing DivX was ok but definitely not=20=

> good. I have to admit that I used a "quick and dirty" approach and=20
> took advantage of X and xine/mplayer instead of looking for stuff that=20=

> e.g. might work without X neither did I tweak any parameters or=20
> switched off deamons I didn't need. So I guess you _can_ make it run=20=

> faster/smoother/better than I did almost "out of the box".

ok, so I guess the M6000 should be quite ok with a carefully tuned=20
kernel/system (and it has really better video than the 500 model=20
according to the review mentionned earlier).
Also, I suppose I could go with a M9000 and slow fans, but I try to get=20=

rid of noise.

> Problems: read the handbook, took me almost a day to figure out why=20
> TV-out wasn't working when I saw that you have to change a jumper so=20=

> that the plug changes from SPIF (or whatever) sound to TV-out.
> I used the video drivers provided by VIA for X Free on (I think) Red=20=

> Hat Linux without any problems.

Ok, thanks a lot!

patpro
--=20
je cherche un poste d'admin-sys Mac/UNIX
(ou une jeune et jolie femme riche)
http://patpro.net/cv.php