Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 2014 09:19:21 -0500
From:      David Noel <david.i.noel@gmail.com>
Subject:   Cable Modems for Large Networks

Can anyone recommend a DOCSIS-3 compatible cable modem that's designed
for large networks? I'm guessing something that could support 10,000
users would meet my needs.

I'm doing some web crawling and it's overloading the standard SMC
model Comcast is leasing me. I have 4 servers running 100 threads
each, and combined they're making anywhere from 10-100 requests per
second. I'm guessing that's around the load a 10,000-user network
generates around peak? At any rate, my cable modem is completely
crapping out and I'm barely able to use 1/10th of my 50/10 line.

My only other option is to make a best-guess based on
CPU/microcontroller specs, but I'd really rather not have to dig into
the documentation for every DOCSIS-3 compatible cable modem on the
market. It's either that, scale back my crawling, or fork over
$3,000/mo for a leased line/co-lo bill. Neither of which I'd like to
or am capable of doing. Surely there's hardware out there that will
let me make the most of my $100/mo cable modem...?

-David

PS: if anyone in Houston has a spare T3 and room for 4 1U's that they
wouldn't mind donating or leasing at a massive discount to a poor
developer, that would work too. You know, because of all those "spare"
T3's people have just lying around.