Date:      Fri, 27 Jul 2001 20:29:19 -0700
From:      "Michael" <mheitmeier@hotmail.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORg>
Subject:   Diskless booting  trouble...

I came a long way, at least I have a booting system. Except...

The kernel boots and then the system goes into a spiral of error
messages:

The last few kernel lines (bright letters) are:
rootfs is 10.0.0.1:/tftpboot
Ignoring field type 15
Mounting root from nfs:
NFS ROOT: 10.0.0.1:/tftpboot

And then this:

Interface rl0 IP-Address 10.0.0.100 Broadcast 10.0.0.255
mount_null: vfsload(null): No such file or directory
source_rc_confs: not found
Skipping disk checks ...
source_rc_confs: not found
mount_null: vfsload(null): No such file or directory
/etc/rc.diskless2: cannot create /tmp/dev.tmp: read only file system
/etc/rc.diskless2: cannot open /tmp/dev.tmp: no such file
[network setup, looks alright]
chflags: /dev/tty[pqrsPQRS]*: No such file or directory
chmods: /dev/tty[pqrsPQRS]*: No such file or directory
chown: /dev/tty[pqrsPQRS]*: No such file or directory
cd: can't cd to /var/spool/lock
dmesg: /dev/mem: No such file or directory
additional daemons:.
Doing additional network setup:.
Starting final network daemons:.
setting ELF ldconfig path: /usr/lib
setting a.out ldconfig path: /usr/lib/aout
starting standard daemons: inetd croncron: /var/cron: No such file or
directory
cron: /var/cron: created
cron: tabs: No such file or directory
cron: tabs: created
.
find: /var/tmp/vi.recover: No such file or directory
Initial rc.i386 initialization:.
rc.1386 configuring syscons: keymap*/etc/rc.i386: cannot open /dev/ttyv0: no
such file
keyrate/etc/i386: cannot open /dev/ttyv0: no such file
screensaverkldload: can't load blank_saver: No such file or directory
mousedmoused: unable to open -t: No such file or directory
/etc/rc.i386: cannot open /dev/ttyv0: no such file
.
source_rc_confs: not found
additional ABI support:.
Additional TCP options:.
Fri Jul 27 20:15:56 PDT 2001

And with this the client simply hangs and does not react to the keyboard.

I stumbled across rc.diskless[1,2] and now I'm totally confused as to what
the
sequence of events is and how the client eventually gets r/w access to its
designated root file system. It has access, but initially apparently read
only. When does fstab come into play? With all the errors it never seems to
get there.
The documentation I found on the Web is sketchy at best and usually at least
two years old.

I'm stumped. Anybody?

Thanks,

Michael