Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 1998 18:45:38 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        "Ian O'Friel" <Genius@glasgow.crosswinds.net>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Autoexec.bat equiv.

On Mon, 22 Jun 1998 at 16:28 SAT, Ian O'Friel wrote:

> Is there an equivelant to the AUTOEXEC.BAT under FreeBSD as I would like to
> start various things automatically upon starting.

Once the kernel has initialised things, it kicks off userland processes by
executing /sbin/init.  See init(8) for more details.

As on most BSD-like systems, init then executes the startup script /etc/rc.
>From a user's point of view, this is all that is fairly basic and "hardwired"
about the bootup configuration.

If you look through FreeBSD's /etc/rc, you'll see that it parses a number of
other scripts.  In particular, FreeBSD offers you:

- /etc/rc.conf, in which you can make configuration changes
- /etc/rc.local, in which you can place any local startup commands that you
  wish to incorporate.

Also note the "local_startup" parameter in rc.conf.  This specifies a list of
directories.  Any scripts in these directories will be executed upon startup.
This is useful for starting individual daemons.

And if you think this is complicated, wait till you see how SysV does it.
;-)

-- V

Johann Visagie | Email: wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878