Date:      Thu, 9 Sep 1999 13:09:40 -0500 (CDT)
From:      James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystems.net>
To:        "Lowkrantz, Goran" <Goran.Lowkrantz@infologigruppen.se>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lisen only NIC

The only *true* way I know of to get a listen-only NIC, is to physically
disconnect the xmit line on the NIC. When I read about this in the
"Repelling the wiley hacker" internet firewall/security book and tried it
on an old 3Com 3c503, I thought it was sufficient and *really* secure.
(The book is so good I've loaned it out so email for ISBN. Great book!)

After reading the AntiSniff stuff by the L0pht folks, I'm not so sure. I
could send an attack packet to your machine with a forged (or real) return
address. When you look-up the hostname in DNS during capture or reporting,
I could see (sniff DNS server ENet, hack DNS server, etc) the DNS query
and know you saw my packet.

I was also under the impression that you didn't have to ifconfig the card
(causing ARP, reply packets, etc) to get /dev/bpf0 to work, since it
worked at the MAC level. Try not configuring the card in rc.conf and just
attaching to the filter for the card. - Jy@