Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 1996 19:20:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Brann <jbrann@panix.com>
To:        d_burr@ix.netcom.com (Donald Burr)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Buying a laptop for FreeBSD - advice sought

Donald Burr wrote...
[...]
> The notebook I am considering is the CTX EZ350D.  Through some contacts I
> am able to get this unit at a very good price.  Obviously, I'd prefer to
> spend less money, that way I have money left over for other toys... er,
> necessities, like PCMCIA cards, Zip disks, etc.  But if this unit will
> not work with FreeBSD, I'm willing to consider an alternate.

[...]

Looking at your spec. for this machine, it's very similar to a Sharp notebook
I had a while ago.  I know these things are often made by one manufacturer
and badged by others.

That machine was a lemon.  The removable disk drive would occasionaly
make sickening clunking noises just before the machine crashed (in DOS).
The monitor (an 800x600 DSTN) was very dim and wavered nastily.  I believe
it has now been withdrawn by Sharp (at least it's not advertised any more).

I managed to install FreeBSD (2.1) and run console sessions, but couldn't
get X going - the video chipset was not supported.

I replaced it with a Toshiba 415CS - which is a vast improvement (and $1000
more expensive...)

John

--
Beavis and Butt-Head;  Vladimir and Estragon for the '90s.

finger jbrann@panix.com for pgp public key