Date:      Wed, 03 Nov 1999 17:53:34 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/kern vfs_conf.c

This should bring CDROM-as-root operation almost back to the state it
was at prior to my gutting the i386 autoconf.c.  I've left the really
old-and-nasty cdrom drives out of the list of devices that are searched
for automatically; you can either specify the device manually with eg.

 set vfs.root.mountfrom=cd9660:/dev/matcd0a

in the loader or, if you really need them working like this let me know
and I'll add them to the list.  For IDE and SCSI cdroms, you can just

 boot -C

in the loader and all should work like it used to.

Note that there's now no dependancy between root on a cdrom and the
CD9660_ROOT option; you should be able to boot eg. a UFS filesystem off
a cdrom with an appropriate vfs.root.mountfromn setting.  The -C
auto-search won't find this combination unless you update the list of
defaults it tries however.

Please note that I say "should"; this code looks right and builds OK,
but I don't have a CD to try it with.  Feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks to Guy Helmer for pointing out that the cdrom-as-root stuff did
actually work for him.  Note that this commit was delayed about 8 hours
by painful and pointless bike-shed discussions. 8(