Date:      Tue, 26 May 1998 12:51:47 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problems with Iwill PIILS motherboard

> I have just purchased a new system for running FreeBSD. It is
> based on the Iwill PIILS motherboard, which uses the 440LX
> chipset and includes an Adaptec 7880 SCSI controller.
> I'm running FreeBSD-stable now, but I have detected two problems:
>
> First, the serial ports are not detected. I know that this problem
> also happens with other Iwill MBs and some Compaqs. I have found
> that two tests made by the sio driver fail (tests numbered 5 and 8).
> If I disable both tests, the serial ports are detected and work
> fine. However, I would like to know if someone is working on
> a patch for this problem. If there isn't any known solution, a
> new kernel config option (SIO_PROBLEM, for example) would be
> very useful.

The problem is that the "solution" varies.  On some systems, ignoring
the probe failures does not result in working ports.  We do not
understand the mechanism of the failure, so it's not possible to work
around it.  Bruce Evans (bde@freebsd.org) is the person to talk to about
this.  If you're able to investigate the matter further, it might be
helpful.

> "Enable" or "Disable". However, the "cheksum error" trying to read
> the 7880's SEEPROM does not prevent the AHC driver from working
> properly. Until now, I can access to my SCSI disk and CD-ROM without
> any problem.
>
> These are the codes on the chip surface:
>
> 	AIC7880P
> 	AQWA 750
> 	722511
> 	BF3671.1
>
> If the 7880 SCSI controller on my PIILS motherboard is a new
> version, or it has any kind of difference, I'm ready to make
> any tests on my system; however, in this case I will need some
> help from the person(s) responsible of the AHC driver.

The EEPROM is read/written by the firmware, not the chip.  It is
possible that they are using a new checksum algorithmm, or that the
firmware is buggy.  You may wish to investigate the algorithm and
results to verify this.