Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 2002 15:03:01 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   em0: Intel Pro/1000MT is not working!

Hello.

I got a problem with a Intel Pro/1000MT NIC on a FreeBSD 4.7-RC box
(cvsupdated yesterday).

When booting, kernel reports the following:

em0: <Intel (R) PRO/1000 Network Connection, Version 1.3.14> at device 16.0 on pci0
em0: Memory Access and/or Bus Master bits were not set!
em0: Unable to allocate bus resource: memory
em0: Allocation of PCI resources failed
device_probe_and_attach: em0 and attach returned 6

The mainboard is a new VIA A7V333 (KT333 chipset), disabled RAID controller.
Also atached: LSI Logic 21040 U160 SCSI controller (also 64 Bit/33 Mhz in 32
Bit PCI slot).

I disabled IEEE1394 device by jumper, USB2.0 and the Promise RAID chip,
I tried the Intel PRO/1000MT NIC in each possible PCI slot, but no chance,
it does not work. The I tried to assign an IRQ explicitely by BIOS setting
to a specific PCI slot the NIC resides in. No effect.
Due to the use of SCSI both IDE controllers are disabled, APIC mode is enabled,
parallel and both serial ports are disbaled, so their IRQs should be free.

Can anyone help? We plan to order more Intel PRO/1000MT Server Adapters for
all of our FreeBSD boxes. What makes the NIC working improper?

At this moment I'm sorry not offering dmesg-output, but without a working NIC
it's not possible to offer the whole dmesg output (later!).

I tried the NIC in a normal PC/Windows 2000 system and it works fine. The only
thing I did not check is whether there is something to switch within the BIOS/
Firmware of the NIC itself.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,
Oliver

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)