Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 2003 11:45:06 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG, Tristan Goode <tgoode@iprimus.com.au>
Subject:   Re: write(2) SIGPIPE on a closed socket?

--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 01:37:48AM -0800, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 11:30:02AM +0200, Peter Pentchev wrote:
> > dnscache) getting a SIGPIPE when attempting to write to an incoming
> > connection's socket.  Presumably, the client closed the connection in
> > The question: if the client closed the socket, shouldn't a write(2)
> > return -1 with errno =3D=3D EPIPE before sending a SIGPIPE?  Does anyone
>=20
> well, what would "before" mean ? the system sends a signal when
> the error is detected, not after an arbitrary amount of time
> to give the user a chance of handling the return from the syscall.

Well, the documented behavior of write(2) - and the one I have seen on
many cases when writing to a socket or a FIFO - is that the first time a
write is attempted after the fd is no longer available for writing,
write(2) returns -1 and sets errno to EPIPE.  This is the way read(2)
behaves, too; this is the way programs are written to accommodate -
dnscache does a check for write(2) returning -1, and closes the
connection if this condition is detected.

IMHO, this is way more logical - the system call should first try to
return an error, so the application can detect a problem *immediately*,
not asynchronously via signal handlers setting flags and such.  I - and
many others, apparently - have come to depend on the fact that the first
read(2) or write(2) operation on a closed socket will return -1, and
only if I am foolish enough to attempt a second one will the system send
me a signal (isn't this the whole purpose of SIGPIPE - forcibly
terminate foolish applications which do not honor errors signalled by
return code?).

> Sounds like the correct approach is to set the handler for
> SIGPIPE to sig_ign

This would work, but is somewhat besides the point IMHO.

> Maybe one should wonder why this is not just the default given
> that you can get this signal not because your program
> did something wrong, but because the other end did.

See above; it is much easier for the program to understand that
something is wrong if the system call will return -1, *as documented* in
the write(2) manual page.

G'luck,
Peter

--=20
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net    roam@sbnd.net    roam@FreeBSD.org
If wishes were fishes, the antecedent of this conditional would be true.

--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6

--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6--