Date:      Sun, 4 Feb 2001 21:40:03 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <cjclark@alum.mit.edu>, "Doug Young" <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
Cc:        "JAKE RIVERA" <jakerivera@ameritech.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Problem with modem in laptop

Not anymore - it's shameful how rapidly the market has switched to junk.

 At least, I have never seen one that was not. Go into
> /etc/defaults/pccard.conf to look for a gizzilion ones that work with
> FreeBSD.

very few of which are on sale anymore.

> The built-in modems in notebook PCs, however, are pretty much without
> exception, WinModems. (Which was always fun for those few who ran NT
> on their notebooks, 'cause they generally don't run under NT either.)
> --

Not anymore.  Most of the name brand PCMCIA winmodems come with NT drivers
these days.

Unfortunately, this is one of the glaring holes in the Open Source UNIX's.
Very soon it is going to be impossible to buy a new internal modem that is
not a winmodem.  With desktops we have some breathing space because you
can always spec an external modem and this will force normal com port
drivers to be used.  But, it's becoming a serious problem with laptops.

I note that Xircom is being purchased by Intel.  As is likely with most
corporate acquisitions, expect to see a gradual shift in Xircom's product
line as it gets folded into Intel.  How many here are going to bet that
when Intel replaces the Xircom pcmcia modem product line with their own
branding, that they are going to retain the normal modems?

We badly need someone to write a driver for the most common winmodem
chipsets, like the PCTel, soon.  Hopefully, one of the major winmodem
vendors will decide to release a Linux one that can be ported over.