Date:      Tue, 6 Jul 1999 21:11:40 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        mi@aldan.algebra.com
Cc:        hoek@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tcl81 port takes forever to START building

# bash-2.02# time make generate-plist
# ===>   Generating temporary packing list
#
# real    0m41.125s
# user    0m38.757s
# sys     0m1.996s
# bash-2.02# USE_X_PREFIX=t time make generate-plist
# ===>   Generating temporary packing list
#         4.15 real         2.18 user         1.92 sys
# bash-2.02# /usr/bin/time make generate-plist
# ===>   Generating temporary packing list
#        41.06 real        38.79 user         1.95 sys

Wow, this thing again.  I know this is a rehash of a very old
mail resurfacing again for some reason, but just to let everyone
know what is going on...

Tim (hoek@freebsd.org) has made some *very* significant improvements
in this area.  My hat goes off to him.  Satoshi and I were able to
get 'make index' down to about 40 minutes from a little over an hour
with the Tools/make_index script, Tim has been able to get them in
the sub-10 minute range!

He also addressed the specific problem shown above.  Here's what I
get now with his patches.

bonsai[/usr/ports/lang/tcl81]$ time make generate-plist
===>   Generating temporary packing list
        1.14 real         0.73 user         0.26 sys
bonsai[/usr/ports/lang/tcl81]$ USE_X_PREFIX=t time make generate-plist
===>   Generating temporary packing list
        1.02 real         0.72 user         0.28 sys

Someone buy Tim a beverage of his choice the next time you see him.
These are very dramatic improvements and this was on a box that was
running two setiathome binaries. :-)

It is my understanding that Satoshi has the patches queued for his
next commit to bsd.port*mk and that if things go well for his i386
package build and my Alpha package build they will get committed
so that we may all share in the glory of Tim's work.

Thanks again Tim for persevering my storm of half-a**ed nit
reports. :-)

-steve