Date:      Thu, 26 Apr 2001 18:00:36 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jes=FAs_Arn=E1iz?= <arnaiz@encomix.es>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: VPN

I've just been going through this stuff for the past week.
None of the things come with adequate documentation
so you need to rely heavily on mailing list support.
Thankfully a few people have been giving me
some assistance but looks like at least few days more
messing around will be involved before its working..

There is a basic HOWTO on one application at
freebsddiary, but its quite dated now.  The only other apps
I've been able to find are vtund & poptop (both from ports)
Judging from feedback I received to a similar question, the
few FreeBSD users who use VPN prefer vtund.

I did look at poptop (which reportedly has some security
"features") in the hope it might be more straightforward to
configure. You need to hack the makefile (its flagged
"forbidden") to install, then theres a few compatibility issues
to contend with (due to the linux heritage) .... I gave up with
it at that stage.

I think there may be other applications available if you can
compile support into the kernel .... thats not practical for my
present situation as I can't take the server end offline in the
immediate future.