Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 1997 00:08:03 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        R Ricci <R.Ricci@m.cc.utah.edu>
Cc:        "Jonathan E. Lyons" <parrothd@midwest.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems setting up ijppp

> On Mon, 20 Oct 1997, Jonathan E. Lyons wrote:
>
> > Are you postive the ISP's are using PAP, and not chap?
> >
> > Try adding
> >
> >  accept chap
> >  deny pap
> >
> > and remove the enable pap( I believe thats for dialins into freebsd)
> >
> > Later
> >

> I know for a fact that The Only Net is using pap - I set up their pppd
> myself. Removing the "enable pap" makes no difference. Any more ideas?

Makes no difference ?  Hmmm.  What does "The Only Net"s entry in
ppp.secrets look like ?  Saying "enable pap" tells ppp to challenge
the peer with a PAP request.  If the peer doesn't send a PAP login/
password pair that match an entry in ppp.secrets, they'll never be
authenticated.  Without authentication, they're toast.

Check out

  http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/userppp.html

and post the conversation if it still doesn't make sense.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>, <brian@FreeBSD.org>, <bri@OpenBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;