Date:      Sat, 23 Dec 2000 23:51:06 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Michael Scheidell" <scheidell@fdma.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: MS hyperterminal telnet

> I looked in faq' searched we site, search linux sites, ran vttest, and
can't
> seem to get hyperterminal to work on freebsd.
>
> don't know what emulation, what 'TERM' variable, etc
>
> cursor keys don't work, and 'slrn' inverts the screen colors and doesn't
> ruren them back
>
> any suggestions on running a term emulator on microsloft 2k?

The 'telnet' that ships with W2K supports ANSI.
The 'telnet' that ships with W95, W98, WMe supports VT100 and ANSI.

Thus, if you log into your FreeBSD machine using the W2K telnet, you need to
do one of the following to get your terminal set up properly.

If you're running /bin/sh as a shell:

TERM=ansi
export TERM
tset