Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2000 19:16:03 +0800
From:      Dean Hollister <dean@odyssey.apana.org.au>
To:        Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>, J McKitrick <jcm@freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 3.4-STABLE to 4.0-STABLE

x-no-archive: yes

At 00:58 20/03/00 -0700, Chris Fedde wrote:

>Hum...  I'm a bit underwhelmed here.  I've been having a heck of a time
>finding this message.

[snip]

I eventually found what I needed, by going into /usr/src/UPDATING.

At the very end of this file, you will find the following under "COMMON
ITEMS:"

COMMON ITEMS:

        To build a kernel
        -----------------
        Update config, genassym and go:
                cd src/usr.bin/genassym
                make depend all install clean
                cd ../../usr.sbin/config
                make depend all install clean
                cd ../../sys/i386/conf
                config YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
                cd ../../compile/YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
                make depend && make
                make install

        To rebuild disk /dev entries
        ----------------------------

        MAKEDEV should be copied from src/etc/MAKEDEV to /dev before
        starting the following:

                For N in the list of disks
                        MAKEDEV N                       # eg ad0
                        for M in the list of slices
                                MAKEDEV NsMa            # eg ad0s1a

        To rebuild everything
        ---------------------
        make world

        Except when it doesn't work.

        To update from 3.x to 4.0 stable
        --------------------------------
        cd /usr/src
        make buildworld
        cd sbin/mknod
        make install
        <follow directions to build/install a kernel>
        <follow rebuild disk /dev entries above>        [*]
        reboot
        <in single user>
        cd /usr/src
        make -DNOINFO installworld
        make installworld

        [*] You may need to switch from wd to ad ala 19991210

Apologies if posting this here offends, however, I think this will answer
your question. It has certainly given me something to work with. :-)

Regards,

d.