Date:      Sun, 29 Sep 2002 15:32:00 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mark Hittinger <bugs@pu.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   PCI probing broken on DELLs again

Hey

Someone posted a problem in comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc where they could boot
FreeBSD under 4.4 but cannot under 4.6.  I'd bet the problem is also present
under 4.7.

Anyway I asked him to do "boot -v" under both and post the results.  He has
done so and they can be viewed at http://www.brinktech.nl/dell_44_46/

His box is apparently an older model:

Dell Dimension XPS P90 MT (P54C)
Pentium 90, 540MB HD, 8MB ram
latest BIOS (A06, but I also tried A05 and A04)

His original post is:

| Subject: The DELL funnies (was: failed upgrade 4.4->4.6.2)
| Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 16:34:58 GMT

It looks to me like the 4.6 pci probing is picking up his ata0 disk as ata2,
not quite linking to it properly, and then failing when it probes ata0 later.

Does anyone know of an easy way to disable the ata2 probe?  My thinking is
that if the ata2 probe is prevented then the ata0 probe will probably work
and then he can run 4.6/7.

Later

Mark Hittinger
bugs@pu.net