Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 2001 23:02:25 +0100
From:      rene@xs4all.nl
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   resize partitions on a crippled system?

Hoi ;)

I'm still bugged by this 3.x -> 4.x upgrade.

I've succeeded in building world using the following CVSup file;

*default host=cvsup.nl.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
src-all

But then, installworld (which is advised to do before rebuilding a kernel
by the handbook) fails with:

===> gnu/usr.bin/as
install -c -s -o root -g wheel -m 555   as /usr/libexec/aout
install -c -o root -g wheel -m 444 as.1aout.gz  /usr/share/man/man1aout
===> gnu/usr.bin/ld
install -c -s -o root -g wheel -m 555   ld /usr/libexec/aout
install -c -o root -g wheel -m 444 ld.1aout.gz  /usr/share/man/man1aout
===> gnu/usr.bin/perl
===> gnu/usr.bin/perl/libperl
install -c -o root -g wheel -m 444   libperl.a /usr/lib
install: libperl.a: No such file or directory
*** Error code 71

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Not that I let that stop me. Oh no. I figured that it had installed quite
a lot if not enough ;-), so I just went ahead and recompiled generic
using /usr/src:make buildkernel KERNEL=GENERIC. Again, building
went fine, but installing failed. This time for a logical reason.

When I first installed the 3.x system, I let the installer decide on
partition sizes. It gave me;

Filesystem  1M-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/da0s1a        30       28        0    99%    /
procfs              0        0        0   100%    /proc
/dev/da0s1f      1810      900      764    54%    /usr
/dev/da0s1e        29       10       16    39%    /var

And this should also explain why my installkernel fails; I ran outta
diskspace. :(

Short question: Is there any way I can resize that /dev/da0s1a by snooping
bytes off /dev/da0s1f without losing allocated data?