Date:      Wed, 4 Aug 1999 23:05:49 +0400
From:      "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        "Nickolay N. Dudorov" <nnd@news.itfs.nsk.su>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lynx-current port is broken.

On Wed, Aug 04, 1999 at 11:41:06AM -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > I don't understand why this patch is needed, so I am against its
> > commiting. Just don't overwrite DOCDIR.
>
> The port is broken, trust me.  Please fix it since I've disabled all
> doc distributions in releases until this happens.

Of course I trust you and very willing to fix this thing, but problem is
outside the port. Just renaming DOCDIR variable to something else in lynx
makefile will be short term solution, but lynx and other makefiles too
often use names like DOCDIR, LIBDIR, etc. so too many ports are affected
by this environment bug. To test this thing please add echo $DOCDIR into
install-doc lynx makefile target, i.e.

install-doc:
	echo XXXXXXX ${DOCDIR} XXXXXX
	[... rest of install-doc ...]

if echo will produce something else than /usr/local/share/lynx_doc you
have DOCDIR set in your environment which overwrite makefile setting, not
for lynx makefile only but for each and every makefile which have bad luck
to use DOCDIR variable.

I can log into your machine and typing building command you give me
inspect this situation by myself (because I can't reproduce it on my
machine).

--
Andrey A. Chernov
http://nagual.pp.ru/~ache/