Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2002 16:07:14 -0800
From:      Justin C.Walker <justin@mac.com>
To:        <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: OS Textbook FreeBSD Appendix

On Monday, January 28, 2002, at 02:49 PM, Ronald G Minnich wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, DOROVSKOY,IGOR (A-Portsmouth,ex1) wrote:
>
>> I've took a brief look on Unix presentation and was wondering, why
>> author
>> says that "...most Unix systems have not permitted shared memory
>> because
>> the PDP-11 hardware did not encourage it..."?
>
> where'd they get this? that's an odd statement. Shared memory was used
> all
> the time on Unix on -11s, that's the whole point of the shared text
> a.out
> format. Of course shared read-only text is not exactly the standard
> shared
> memory, but at the same time it shows feasibility. The address space was
> so small though that other mechanisms were used.

I'd guess that the point deals with the use of "shared memory" between
processes for the purposes of sharing data.  Given the granularity of
the PDP-11 "VM" hardware, it seemed like a bad tradeoff, and wasn't
considered useful until long after the PDP-11 went to the Boston
Computer Museum, where it sipped tea and complained about the Red Sox.

Regards,

Justin

--
/~\ The ASCII           Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-at-Large
\ / Ribbon Campaign