Date:      Mon, 9 Mar 1998 10:11:41 -0600 (CST)
From:      Rob Snow <rsnow@lgc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Weirdness with root device with stable kernel

I sup'ed stable last night and built a new kernel which I rebooted into.
I wanted to see how it say my CD-Changer I just acquired.  I know, I
didn't make world, I just wanted to see what came up.

I got something I didn't expect.  wd0a is /, wd0s3e is /usr, swap and
such are on sd0[...].  I got a 'changing root device to wd0s3' and then It
told me that 'mounted filesystem doesn't match (needed or somesuch)'

It dumps me to sh where / (wd0a) is mounted ro as root_device and I can
mount the other filesystems rw to /mnt, /mnt2, etc.  Returning to
kernel.orig makes it all better.

My concern is that if I make world I may end up in this same state.

BTW, I'm 2.2.5, P150, 32MB, wd0 on wdc0, sd0 on ahc0, wcd0 on wdc1.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?