Date:      Thu, 10 Feb 2000 13:10:23 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        mm@i.cz
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: L2tp thoughts an implementations.

Martin Machacek wrote:

> On 09-Feb-00 David Gilbert wrote:
> > Now... I started vaguely wondering to myself if we could create a
> > ng_route node... which would have a routing table similar to the
> > kernel's.  This would give you CISCO-like vlan power --- you'd create
> > a "vrouter" by attaching certain vlans to a route node.
>
> Why would you like to bridge VLANs? If I want some stations to be on the same
> LAN segment I put them to the same VLAN. If I want them to be on different
> segments I put them in separate VLANs and route (or if you wish switch on
> layer three) between corresponding interfaces. I don't see any use for bridging
> VLANs.

To allow your engineers to snoop accounting data and figure out what the
executive staff is making?

> In any case I would definitely like to see solid implementation of 802.1q VLANs
> in FreeBSD.

As usual, we await your patches...  ;^)

FWIW, I'd like to see a solid implementation of 802.1q, too.  Including the
important but always overlooked stuff like per-VLAN arp tables, in case you
have a Sun sitting on two VLANs using the same MAC address on both, and
per-VLAN routing tables so you can have different VLANs with their own
unique internet connections.

I know, I know, we await my patches as well.