Date:      Wed, 10 May 1995 14:36:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        iznogood@iesd.auc.dk (Lars Albertsen)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Needs PCI network recommendation

> Hi,
>
> I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I have been asked
> to put together a PC.  I still need to select a network card.  I would
> prefer to buy a PCI-card, can anybody recommend one?

Being in the business of building systems lends me a special interest
to these types of questions.  I recommend the Compex PCI ENET/32 card.

This is a PCI bus master so it saves your CPU the work load of bcopying
bytes to and from memory.  I have yet to see a PCI motherboard that has
a problem running this card (I can not say this about other PCI Ethernet
cards I have tried).

It has all 3 media connectors, so you can use it at any site without
doing things like AUI to TP adapters.

The other card I do is the SMC 9332 EtherPower 10/100MB card, this card
does both 10BaseT at 10MB/sec and 100BaseTX on Cat 5 cable or STP cable
with DB-9 connector.

XX. TMG CPXPCI/32C Compex ENET32-PCI PCI 32bit ethernet combo          $ 118.00

XX. TMG SMC9332 SMC 10/100MB DEC 21140 ethernet combo                  $ 212.00

Both cards are in stock here at qty 1, 100's are just a phone call and
a day away :-)

They both use the same if_de.c driver under FreeBSD.