Date:      Sun, 1 Oct 2000 17:09:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Igor Roshchin <str@giganda.komkon.org>
To:        kris@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: advisory suggestion

> Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2000 01:25:24 -0700
> From: Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
> Subject: Re: advisory suggestion
>
> On Sat, Sep 30, 2000 at 10:12:38PM -0400, Igor Roshchin wrote:
>
> > Affects: FreeBSD.....
> > ... including 3.5.1-RELEASE
>
> I thought I was doing that already..I always try and specifically
> mention which releases were and were not vulnerable to the problem in
> question.

Yes, it is usually well done!
You probably forgot about these additional "technical" releases (x.x.1)
(which are not even mentioned on www.Freebsd.org)

> > Corrected: ....
> >      (including 4.1.1-RELEASE [and later])
>
> Isn't it pretty obvious that once we fix a problem, it stays fixed,
> and so if 4.1 is fixed then 4.1.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 4.4.145 (I predict a
> serious problem with that release ;-), etc are all going to be fixed?
> :-)

"and later" was put in the square brackets because it was obvious :)

The point was in "including 4.1.1-RELEASE"
It makes it convenient if releases that are out at the time
when the advisory is issued, to mention them explicitely.

In this case, it was written, that 4.1-STABLE is fixed as of xx.xx.2000
It's clear that it is fixed in  4.2-RELEASE (whenever it's out) ,
but not clear about 4.1.1-RELEASE (you need to compare the dates)

Igor