Date:      Thu, 01 Jul 1999 03:10:08 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading from ancient to current...

"David E. Cross" wrote:
> This is a bit of a tangent from the original post, but when did the FreeBSD
> kernel start supporting ELF natively (not talking about Linux emulation).
> I made the mistake of attempting to run a 3.0 ELF world with a 2.2.5
> kernel, and it worked (mostly).  I was unaware that anything that "old"
> supported ELF.

2.2 supported ELF quite some time before 2.2-stable was branched, for
almost as long as ELF binaries were supported under Linux emulation...
Native ELF support was added nearly for free.

The main thing that'll break is that 3.x kernels and libraries have
syscalls that do not exist in 2.x and you'll get SIGSYS's etc.

Cheers,
-Peter