Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2006 10:30:23 +0100
From:      Dominic Marks <dom@goodforbusiness.co.uk>
To:        Dominik Zalewski <dzalewski@open-craft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bind round robin

 From the original message:

[1]

> From pen homepage:
>
> "This is pen, a load balancer for "simple" tcp based protocols such as http or
> smtp."
>
> As I know DNS uses both tcp and udp protocols.

 From the posters excerpt it looks like they are looking to load balance
HTTP. [1]

> For failover you can try OpenBSD Packet Filter with CARP protocol. PF can do
> load-balacing using different algorithms also. CARP is ported to FreeBSD.
> More info on: http://pf4freebsd.love2party.net/carp.html

Also true. Last time I looked at this however there was a big disclaimer
saying that
CARP's load balancing was likely to give a distorted distribution of
load and I don't
believe it does weighting. I believe this would also be a problem
considering the
example in [1]:

 From carp(4):

      Note: ARP balancing only works on the local network segment.  It
cannot
      balance traffic that crosses a router, because the router itself will
      always be balanced to the same virtual host.

Cheers,
Dominic