Date:      Sun, 5 Sep 2004 17:43:21 -0400
From:      Anish Mistry <mistry.7@osu.edu>
To:        Gerald Pfeifer <gerald@pfeifer.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wine and mmap

--Boundary-02=_Bi4OBABKT65t+8c

On Sunday 05 September 2004 05:15 pm, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> [ John, sorry for the duplicate message; this is the correct one. ]
>
> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, John Birrell wrote:
> > Anish Mistry <mistry.7@osu.edu> has developed a patch to choose an
> > appropriate mmap address. He posted it to -current. I haven't had time =
> > test it.
>
> Thanks for the note.  Will you have time to test/commit this before 5.3?
>
> Anish, do you have any news on this patch?  (Wine has been broken for a
> couple of months now, and it would be great to have at least 5.3 fixed.)

I'm still in the process of try to fix wine so that the new versions after=
=20
June work too.  Unless I have some major break through or someone else can=
=20
fix the problem of wine not loading the evecutable at the default load=20
location it probably won't be.
To see what I mean use Brian Fundakowski Feldman's patch to fix a pthread=20
problem in (thr_stack.c) and apply my mmap patch and try to run a few=20
programs with the August version of wine.
What seems to be the problem is that there is an mmap call in wine that I=20
can't seem to find that ends up allocating allocating the space at least on=
=20
my system (addr=3D0x003a0000 size=3D0x00010100) after the initial mmaping t=
hat=20
consumes the default load location of 0x00400000 so then wine doesn't like=
=20
that and dies.  Some apps DO work since apparently they don't trigger the=20
previously stated mmap over the load location.

=2D-=20
Anish Mistry