Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 1996 20:00:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "James E. Leinweber" <jiml@slh.wisc.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.5-RELEASE generic kernel panics looking for mythical sd1a root

On Mon, 5 Aug 1996, James E. Leinweber wrote:

> I am experimenting with installing FreeBSD 2.1.5-RELEASE on a PC with both
> an IDE and a SCSI disk, and have run into a boot snag.  After the
> apparently successful install, when the generic kernel loads off of
> /dev/sd0s2, it panics trying to mount sd1a as root, when it ought to
> be mounting sd0a (or sd0s2a, to be pedantic).

Not again :( This problem came up a few weeks ago.  I don't recall the
solution.  It's starting to roll through the mail archives, so some time
spent there might coax it into releasing the eventual solution.

Specifically giving the boot partition to the Boot:  prompt (ie,
"sd(0,a)/kernel") should work.  I'm guessing the bootblocks may be getting
confused by your IDE disks.

> I have too many operating systems installed (DOS, OS/2, a partition
> reserved for Windows-95, Windows-NT, Linux), and was trying to add
> FreeBSD to the mixture.  The boot strategy is currently DOS MBR ->
> Linux LILO on wd0s2 -> FreeBSD on sd0s2.  I was doing an NFS-based
> install off another local machine.  I FTP'd the release files on
> Saturday 8/3/96, from ftp.freebsd.org (AKA ftp.cdrom.com).

Wow, what a mess.  I wouldn't be surprised if FreeBSD's boot is getting
seriously turned around from this mess.

> The kernel seems to boot fine off sd0s2 - the messages are identical
> to what I get off the boot floppy; post-install I can mount sd0a fine
> from the fixit floppy; and in general everything looks normal to me.
> (I've successfully run other versions of FreeBSD on other machines in
> the past.)  Except that the kernel panics trying to mount the wrong
> root partition.  It claims to be looking for sd1a, and that disk
> doesn't exist.
>
> Is this a bug?  Can I install FreeBSD on a SCSI disk in a system with
> an IDE disk?  Is there a way to tell a freebsd kernel where to find
> its root partition, analogous to the Linux "root=..." parameter?

There is one in the config file.  I'm not sure how religious it is about
following it.