Date:      Sat, 23 Dec 2000 21:33:25 -0800
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        Benjamin Close <linux@senet.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stderr in csh/tcsh

> In bash to obtain stderr from a command it's a simply: command 2> filename
> however, under tcsh I am lost on how to get stderr alone. I know: command

RTFM.  Here's the relevant part from tcsh(1):

       The shell  cannot  presently  redirect  diagnostic  output
       without  also redirecting standard output, but `(command >
       output-file)  >&  error-file'  is  often   an   acceptable
       workaround.   Either  output-file  or  error-file  may  be
       `/dev/tty' to send output to the terminal.

Diagnostics output is synonymous with standard error.

Hope this helps

						Dima Dorfman
						dima@unixfreak.org