Date:      Fri, 27 Jul 2001 21:19:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bsd Newbie <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   URGENT - Seems like i've been hacked... what to do now?

I woke up from a long nap and decided to log into my
BSD box... but something didn't seem right.

It looked as if someone had rebooted the machine and
logged on with my account and changed to SU.

The time seemed odd, 3:27pm. I am sure I didn't use he
computer at that time. I mean I have a horrible short
term memory, but of this I'm pretty sure.

This leads me to the conclusion that I've been hacked
or something. It really boggles my mind how anyone was
able to get a hold of both the user and su passwords.
I mean I never logon using my account from anywhere
other than the console.

Is there anyway of seeing what the IP address was of
the person that logged into my machine?

How can I tell what the person did to the machine? I
don't see anything in my root mailbox.

Could this person have configured a back door to log
themselves in from now on? How can I find it and
destroy it?

In short... what do I do now that i've been hacked?

I need your advice badly.

I'm going to be out this weekend and since I won't be
here i'm going to take the machine off-line.

-----

I saw something about a telnetd security hole... could
that have been used against me?