Date:      Tue, 14 May 2002 14:21:28 +0200
From:      Niek Bergboer <niek@wit379119.student.utwente.nl>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: matlab6  & /dev/ptmx

On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 02:59:04PM +0300, Danny Braniss wrote:
> ??? MATLAB was unable to open the pseudo-tty master device /dev/ptmx
> [...]
> is there any solution to this? (apart from running it native under linux :-)?

FWIW: I ran into the same problem about 9 months ago. The problem
basically comes down to the different mechanisms by which Linux and
BSD allocate new pseudo-terminals. You might want to look up the
thread in the archives.

In Linux, a program open(2)s /dev/ptmx. The file-descriptor that is
returned points to a free pty at that point. In BSD this mechanism
doesn't exist, and as far as I know a pty "hunt" is performed in which
either the program or a library tries to open each pty device until it
finds one that isn't already taken.

In -STABLE a /dev/ptmx workalike doesn't exist, and I haven't been
able to get MATLAB to work properly. Basically, this means that most
MATLAB functionality is present, but the calling of external commands
(e.g. !ls) doesn't work.

I don't know what the situation is in -CURRENT.

Anyone?

> danny

Regards,

Niek Bergboer
--
  "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those
   who dream only by night."

PGP public key at http://www.bergboer.net