Date:      Mon, 23 Nov 1998 20:48:03 +1100
From:      "Richard Green" <rgreen@rainbow.net.au>
To:        "Eric Hodel" <hodeleri@seattleu.edu>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NEWBIE: Boot problems

>I'm forwarding this to questions because they'll best be able to help,

Thanks, I've solved the first part of this (user error!):

> but you
>may need to specify 0:da(0,a)kernel instead of 0:sd(0,a)kernel.

I got the system to start by booting from floppy, then at the boot: prompt
was able to continue booting from the hard disk using 0:sd(0,a)kernel (I'd
previously misspelled kenel... doh!)

> Of course I
>very very very highly doubt that this is the case, as the BIOS is unable to
find
>the boot code.  Is the partition with FreeBSD set active?  Usually, when
you get
>a "missing OS" error the bios is trying to find a bootable portion of the
HDD,
>and can't.

Yes it is active. fdisk returns, in part...
sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
  start 63, size 519202 (2047 Meg), flag 80 (active)
  beg:Cly 0/ sector 63/ head254

I'm wondering if something to do with my h/w setup may have cause  the mbr
to be miswritten, in which case how does one write the boot record again?

Thanks & regards

Richard Green

-snip-