Date:      Fri, 7 Dec 2001 19:32:37 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@rambo.simx.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mount_mfs with softupdate generates panic

Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg <listsub@rambo.simx.org> types:
> Ceri wrote:
> >On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 06:08:22PM +0100, Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg wrote:
> >>Has anyone used memory disks, with softupdates enabled, succesfully?
> >There isn't any point.
> >
> What do you mean no point?
> I agree, the performance gained of using Soft Updates on a memory disk
> is probably small, but as I mentioned, this was done purely for
> performance, hence the noatime and async flags.

Async is ignored if you turn on soft updates. Soft updates isn't
stupid - it realizes that if you've turned on soft udpates on the
filesystem, async is not only irrelevant, but dangerous.

> Im by no means a filesystem expert, but Soft Updates should improve
> performance on memory disks as well as regular harddrives, right?

Not necessarily. Soft updates orders writes from the buffer cache to
the hard disk. If your memory disk is working properly, those writes
never happen, because the disk and the buffer cache are one and the
same thing.

But yes, the system shouldn't panic you you mount your mfs disk async.

	<mike