Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 1999 14:28:41 +0100
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/usr.bin/genassym...

[cc'd to -arch]

Peter Wemm wrote:

> >   Added files:
> >     usr.bin/genassym     Makefile genassym.8 genassym.c
> >   Log:
> >   New command for creating assembler symbols from C.
>
> Actually, now that I'm awake properly, the thought just occurred to me.
> This should be shipped with the kernel (along with config(8) and it's
> replacement) as the modules are not going to be built with the world
> for much longer.

Possibly... Currently only the kernel and 2 modules need to use
genassym, but I don't want to qualify it as a kernel-only tool per se.
What about gensetdefs?
gensetdefs is also needed by the Alpha boot loader, BTW.
And what about elf2exe?

Anyway, what it the status of building modules with the kernel and how
does it complicate a cross-build in which we want to build a kernel as
well (needed to properly upgrade)?

--
Marcel Moolenaar                        mailto:marcel@scc.nl
SCC Internetworking & Databases           http://www.scc.nl/