Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 1998 13:22:37 -0500
From:      Cory Kempf <ckempf@enigami.com>
To:        Jamie Norwood <mistwolf@ds9.lesn.lehigh.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Error: Proc size mismatch

At 12:45 -0500 98.03.18, Jamie Norwood wrote:
>OK, I did a make buildworld on 3.0-971225-SNAP, everything compiled
>correctly. I then did make installworld. Again, no errors Rebooted. Now,
>when I do w, ps, or anything of the sort, I get:
>
>kanga:/home/mistwolf> ps
>ps: proc size mismatch (1352 total, 664 chunks)
>
>Any ideas what cause this?

You need to build a kernel that matches the rest of the world you just built.

Go into /sys/i386/conf, create a configuration file for your system, run
config, cd to the compile directory (../../compile/<yourkernelname>/), do a
make depend, a make all, and a make install.

Go to /root, cp /kernel /kernel.good

If your did it right, when you reboot, you will be using a new kernel based
on the same source tree as ps, et al.  If not, well, at the boot prompt,
tell it to boot off of /kernel.good, and fix your config file.

+C

--
Thinking of purchasing RAM from the Chip Merchant?  Please read this first:
<http://www.enigami.com/~ckempf/chipmerchant.html>;

Cory Kempf                  Macintosh / Unix Consulting & Software Development
ckempf@enigami.com          <http://www.enigami.com/~ckempf/>;