Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 10:01:59 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        Elston Lewis <elston@hostmasters.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Requessting information

On Tue, 10 Nov 1998 at 03:47 SAST, Elston Lewis wrote:

> I would like to know what I would have to do in order in install FREE
> BSDI's software,
> completely from a floppy drive?

Err, you mean FreeBSD.  "BSDI" is a company which produces a commercial
version of BSD Unix known as BSD/OS.  You can find out more about them at
http://www.bsdi.com/

FreeBSD is a freely available version of BSD Unix maintained by volunteers.
You can read all about _them_ at http://www.freebsd.org/

You can find FreeBSD's installation instructions at:
  http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html

> What are all the functions and abilities does the FREE BSDI server have to
> offer?
> would I be able to run (WWW, FTP, DNS, Dial-up, EMAIL, account
> management,PROXY ) services?

Since the Internet as we know it today was originally built on BSD Unix, you
can expect that FreeBSD can do anything a generic Internet server should be
able to do, and do it superlatively well.  That will include all the
functions you mention above.

-- V

Johann Visagie | wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878 | ICQ: 20645559