Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 96 15:16:57 MET
From:      Greg Lehey <lehey.pad@sni.de>
To:        adam@veda.is (Adam David)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Documenters)
Subject:   Re: config -g KERNEL

>>> I tried making a kernel with debug symbols, using config -g and strip -x.
>>
>> 	I believe this should be 'strip -d', not -x...
>
> Thanks Marc :)
> If so, then handbook223 is incorrect and needs updating, along with any other
> such references that might be in the FAQ or handbook.

I don't have a machine here to check, but this is definitely one of
the problems.  One strip option removes local symbols, including a
number which have recently been declared static, but which are still
used by some programs.  Since this time, you need the other option.

> Does anyone else think (with me) that /sys/compile/KERNEL/Makefile should
> contain the steps necessary for installing a stripped debug kernel, at least
> in the 'config -g' case?

Definitely.  BSDI has done this all along.

Greg