Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 1998 19:57:46 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        asmodai@wxs.nl (Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu
Subject:   Re: Problem with SCSI-bus and high diskaccess?

Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote...
> On 21-Dec-98 Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> > Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote...
> >> On 20-Dec-98 Chris Timmons wrote:
>
> >> As I said, the memory is fine, I never got SIG 11's, plus it has been tested
> >> recently. I reseated all the crap that can be reseated =)
> >
> > Good idea.  If you've got a second machine, it might be worthwhile to setup
> > a serial console to catch any error messages that are printed out.  I find
> > it quite helpful with one of my machines at home.  (I was having NMI
> > problems, generally while in X, but I couldn't figure out exactly why until
> > I put a serial console on the box.  It turned out that although I was
> > within the specs as far as the number of memory chips per SIMM, I was
> > probably
>
> was probably what? =)

Oops.  I was probably exceeding the amount of capacitance the memory
subsystem on my motherboard could take.

It's an ASUS P/I-P65UP5 with a C-P6ND CPU card.  It has 8 SIMM slots.
Theoretically, I think you're not supposed to have an average of more than
24 chips per SIMM.  I had 8 32MB SIMMs, each with 24 chips on them.  So,
although I met the specifications, I think I probably just slightly
exceeded the amount of load the memory subsystem could take.  I would get
periodic NMI's.  They were just "generic" NMIs, not parity errors.  (I had
parity SIMMs on board.)  Whenever I've had parity problems in the past,
FreeBSD's NMI panic message has always said "RAM parity error".

Anyway, I took out two of the 8 SIMMs, and things work fine now.
Unfortunately, I have 192MB in the machine, and 64MB on the shelf now.

> I will try to get this spare 486 up and running...

It'll certainly help you find the source of the panics if you have a serial
console.  (especially if you tend to be running X when the panics occur)

> >> And offcourse... Fireballs don't have firmware updates =\
> >>
> >> ftp://ftp.quantum.com/Disk_Firmware/
> >
> > Bummer.  You might want to talk to Quantum about it...more below.
> >
> > I know there is later firmware than that for the Fireball ST.  I believe
> > the drives we have at work that "work" have the 0F0J firmware revision.
> > (the machine with the drives in question is down at the moment, so I can't
> > check to be sure) Try calling Quantum Tech support and see if you can
> > get them to give you a newer firmware revision.
>
> I am going to try this, if the US didn't decide on dropping some major SAPs so
> that quantum.com was unreachable =\

SAPs?  What's that?  (I've heard of SAMs, Cruise Missiles, AAA, and lots of
other stuff, but the only two "SAP" things that come to mind are the kind
that comes out of trees, and the German software company.)

BTW, is there any particular reason that the date on your computer is set
to January 21, 1998?  (I noticed, because my mailer is set to sort based on
message date.)

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry