Date:      Mon, 15 Aug 2005 11:10:48 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@freebsd.org>
Cc:        acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Annoyances with passive thermal code (acpi_thermal)

> Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 04:05:52 +0900
> From: Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@freebsd.org>
> Hi,

> oberman> I've noted an unpleasant mis-behavior in acpi_thermal.
>
> oberman> 1. Killed powerd
> oberman> 2. Set dev.cpu.0.freq to 1200 (I was on batteries and wanted to stretch
> oberman>    them)
> oberman> 3. Started a BIG build...openoffice
>
> oberman> The temp went up over _PSV and the CPU was slowed to 1050. The CPU
> oberman> cooled for a while and the freq was reset to 1800 which started draining
> oberman> my battery way too fast.
>
> It's curious that even when CPU speed is slowed, the temperature go up
> over _PSV.

Yes, it is. I have seen that a fully loaded CPU will top out at 73C. At
1.35 GHz it reached 85C. I did this testing with a totally loaded CPU and
no real I/O using 'dd if-/dev/zero count=1000 bs=1m | md5'. This loads
the CPU and should push temperature to the max possible, but I was
seeing the system running at 86C while building OpenOffice.org late last
week and it was triggering passive thermal management which is set at
86.5C. I have no idea why building OpenOffice.org (port
editors/openoffice-2.0-devel) causes the system to run hotter than the
md5 test.

By the way, I have noticed that dev.acpi_ibm.0.thermal returns
temperatures that are more current than hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature.
The former seems to be immediate while the latter lags up to several
seconds. Odd.

> oberman> Ideally, acpi_thermal should store the frequency when it cuts speed and
> oberman> restore that speed when the CPU cools, not the maximum speed.
>
> CPUFREQ_SET() does it, actually.  However, since CPU speed is restored
> by degrees, we couldn't use the facility effectively.  Please try the
> attached patch.

I'll give it a shot as soon as I can, but I'd rather not rebuild it
until I can back up my system which won't be until tomorrow.

Thanks very much for looking at this.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)