Date:      23 Nov 2001 10:23:53 +0000
From:      Wayne Pascoe <freebsd@molemanarmy.com>
To:        "Leonard C." <leonardc@uclink4.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>, <hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Wireless LAN cards?

"Leonard C." <leonardc@uclink4.berkeley.edu> writes:

> I'm looking into setting up a wireless Ethernet network. I've seen network
> access points available for around $120-140 for a cheap Linksys.
>
> However, it seems to me that it'd be probably cheaper just to buy a desktop
> wireless Ethernet card and use FreeBSD as a bridge and a DHCP server.
>
> Has anybody tried this before and have any recommendations on cards which
> play well with FreeBSD and which to avoid?

I've not seen any desktop wireless ethernet cards. What you generally
have to do is buy a pcmcia card and an ISA - PCMCIA converter for the
PC. I have been warned in the past to use ISA and not PCI. I'm not
sure if PCI is supported yet.

Getting it all going is really easy. I went with Lucent Orinoco silver
cards. The main difference (that I know of) between the silver and
gold cards is encryption strength. As WEP is broken anyhows, no big
deal :) Just use a ipsec tunnel.

HTH

--
- Wayne Pascoe