Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 1997 09:40:05 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au (David Dawes)
Cc:        ccsanady@nyx.pr.mcs.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pcvt/132 columns

> A large proportion of the hw-specific code is required precisely for
> initialising the state of the graphics card.  From our (XFree86's)
> experience, this is the hard part.  The rest is relatively easy.

[ ... ]

> >>Have a look at /usr/src/usr.sbin/pcvt/set2061/, just to get the
> >>feeling for _one_ (now already fairly aged) piece of hardware that
> >>needs to be supported, the ICD2061A clock synthesizer.
>
> And the exact details of programming a chip like this depends on the
> card it is on.  The version in pcvt/set2061 only deals with S3 cards.

And initialization code can be thrown away after use, so there is no
reason not not mark the segment as "init, discardable", or if you
need to use the code again "preload, pageable".

In point of fact, if the code gets into a signle object module segment,
there is no reason that it can't be used to replace the object module
segment for the default video driver it is replacing, in the kernel
image itself.  This would provide an easy way of "building" a "new"
kernel, without needing to actaully relink anything at all.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---