Date:      Sun, 30 Jan 2000 21:37:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Marc Tardif <admin@wtbwts.com>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hardware vs software stripping

> >   Second, a DPT can't do RAID 5 + 0.  It does the RAID 5 in
> > hardware.  The RAID 5 you'll have to do in software.
                   RAID 0

> Hmm.  There's obviously a typo here, but I'm not sure how to correct
> it.  I don't know the DPT implementation, but in Vinum RAID-5 implies
> striping.  I'd be interested in hearing how DPT does it.

  RAID 5 on the DPT.  RAID 0 in software.  Create two or more RAID 5
volumes on the DPT, then strip all DPT volumes into one big software
volume using ccd (a lot of this predates vinum).  The RAID 0 can help
insuluate you from the generally crummy write performance of RAID 5.

> >   An Infortrend (see below) can do a transparent copy-and-replace array
> > expansion.  This however just leaves you with a bigger virtual disk.
> > FreeBSD has no way to grow a filesystem transparently.  You can disklabel
> > the addtional space and make a new filesystem though.
>
> In a similar way, you can increase the size of a concatenated Vinum
> plex, or add another, larger plex to a volume.  Both would increase
> the size of a volume.  Some people also have tools for increasing the
> size of a ufs file system, but they still need work.

  These tools are also strictly off-line too.  Solaris' growfs is very
disapointing in that all process that write just block until growfs is
completed.  Depending on your application, that may be unacceptable.

> Greg
> --
> Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key
> See complete headers for address and phone numbers

Tom