Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 14:52:52 -0800
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@flnet.com>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        Jim Flowers <jflowers@ezo.net>, Matthew Reimer <mreimer@vpop.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NAT/SKIP/MTU

On the subject of Re: NAT/SKIP/MTU, Brian Somers stated:

> > I've completely removed skip from all interfaces and I still see the
> > problems with NAT or FreeBSD when I alter the mtu..
>
> Are you using the -dynamic switch to natd ?  Without it, natd will never
> notice the changed mtu and will screw things up.

I wasnt, however im changing the MTU on the non-NAT interface..  I've added
the -dynamic flag and it still doesnt work.

I'm quite completely confused now as to whats going on inside FreeBSD land and
where the problems are.

If you have a NAT setup this is trivial to reproduce, maybe you can fathom
whats going on.  Alter the MTU of the internal network interface, then try and
connect to www.travelocity.com and retreieve a web page..  No go.  Altering
the mtu of the external interface makes no difference what so ever to the
traffic, it always works.  Touch the internal interface and it goes to hell.
Any suggestions anyone might have would be greatly welcome!

-Crh

       Charles Henrich       Manex Visual Effects       henrich@flnet.com

                       http://orbit.flnet.com/~henrich