Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 17:13:25 -0700
From:      Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca>
To:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freebsd.dk>, Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>, Forrest Aldrich <forrie@forrie.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@hak.lan.Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: ps on 4.0-current

    David> I guess it goes with the "stop ps showing the environment"
    David> changes.  If you remove one it makes sense to remove the
    David> other.

After you verify that this change isn't going to break things that
assume they can see the *argv list via ps(1). I.e. lightning bolts
that do 'kill -MUMBLE `ps -ax|grep foo`'. Which may not be elegant
style, but sometimes is the only workable solution.

Where this could be an issue is binaries with multiple names. E.g.
if bar is a symlink to foo, and you execute bar, ps (old style)
reports:

83158  p0  S      0:00.00 bar (foo)

I *suspect* in the new scheme when running non-root, you don't see
bar show up. If that's the case, we've broken working code.

Now, if instead printing *argv[] follows the -e semantics I posted to
the list a couple of days ago, all should be well.

--lyndon