Date:      Sat, 21 Jul 2001 15:40:28 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Baerjf@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.0 (i386) CD #1 (March 2000 )

Is there a problem with the AOL mailer that you sent this 8 times?

Baerjf@aol.com wrote:
> Can FreeBSD 4.0 be installed on computer with Windows 2000 Professional?

Yes, but you should probably upgrade to 4.3 if your having problems.

> Have destroyed Win 2000 installation trying. Never have be able to install
> BSD and make it work.

Do you have space free on your HDD? Make sure there is about 1g (minimum)
of unpartitioned space available on the drive before you start. Make sure you
use the unused slice while installing FreeBSD. If you don't have free space,
the easiest (albiet slowest) thing to do is to reinstall W2K and make sure it
only uses about 15G to install on, then use the other 15g for FreeBSD.

> IDE CDROM, WD 30 GB hardrive, Athlon 800 CPU.
> If not, can BSD be installed on 2nd hardrive (SCSI) W/2nd CDROM (SCSI).
> Award BIOS will not recognize this CDROM to boot from. Adapter is Tekram 315U
> and it works well with Win 2000.  Cannot boot install floppies & install to
> 2nd hardrive.

If you can't boot the install floppies, how did you manage to hose your
HDD trying to install on the first HDD?

> Installation does not recognize SCSI adapter or CDROM. Is there any
> workaround for either way of installing?

Is the SCSI on the list of compatable hardware?
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.0R/notes.html

-Bill

--
It may be that true happiness is nothing more than the ability to *always*
know the right thing to say at the right time,  whereas true misery is the