Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 2014 18:25:04 +0100
From:      Johannes-Maria Kaltenbach <johannes-maria@t-online.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   (still) problems with email/ssl and t-online.de/telekom.de

Hello,

last November I asked a question with an almost identical subject
(I include a copy at the end of this mail) an I received immediately
a good answer but it seems I was only able to solve half of the
problem wich is a secure connection for my emails.

I thought I had solved it but it was probably only for receiving
mails and not yet for sending them. There was a transition time
when they accepted both secure and insecure connections but this
ends this week; from 31 March on only secure connections will be
accepted (as stated in the reminder which I now received from
telekom; also copied at the end of this mail, but it is in german).
It doesn't say if the insecure connection was for sending or
receiving emails but I think that the receiving (with getmail)
is ok, but that I made an error in configuring sendmail.
(for my mails I use mutt and vi direct, getmail and sendmail
in the background)

I didn't get any direct help from telekom but on one of their
internet pages one can find information for some mail programs
(none of which I use, all some gui programs where you should
change a configuration menu). On the part for thunderbird one
finds that for receiving emails one should change the server name
from popmail.t-online.de to securepop.t-online.de [this was the
answer I got to my mail from Novemer; I had changed only the
type from SimplePOP3Retriever to SimplePOP3SSLRetriever in
getmailrc which wasn't enough].

For sending emails one should change from smtpmail.t-online.de
to securesmtp.t-online.de (port 465).
So I changed this in the mc-file in /etc/mail, make install in
/etc/mail and restarted sendmail. I've got the warning
Warning: Option: AuthMechanisms requires SASL support (-DSASL)
So I deinstalled sendmail and installed it from
/usr/ports/mail/sendmail-sasl/. Now it starts without warnings.
I thought that now I would have a secure connection to t-online.de
until the reminder mail came stating I'd still use an insecure
connection.
I looked at /var/log/maillog and for each outgoing mail I find
 Creating connection to host (smtpmail.t-online.de:25)
 Authentication succeded [johannes-maria]
 Recipient accepted ...
 Mail sent for johannes-maria@t-online.de. Closing connection

So it's still smtpmail.t-online.de. But this name is not contained
in any file in /etc/mail [or any file under /etc].
I tried it with securesmtp.t-online.de and securesmtp.t-online.de:465
in the configuration files (I don't know where else to put the
port number 465) but in both cases I get the smtpmail.t-online.de
in /var/log/maillog.

Can you help?

thanks in advance
Johannes-Maria