Date:      Mon, 11 Sep 2000 08:13:32 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: File and Program Permissions

Rick Hamell writes:
> 	In /usr/X11R6/bin there are several programs I want a regular user
> to be able to run, such and xcdplayer and xsane. How do I go about setting
> that up? The user is already part of wheel, and just about everything in
> that directory is owned by the wheel group. As such I believe I should be
> able to run it... but I still get permission denied. I would change the
> permissions on the file it self, or even the owner of the file, but I
> don't want to have to do that with every file, or accidently create
> security holes...
> 	The only major problem I can figure is that both those two
> programs uses devices in the /dev directory which may be giving the
> permission denied error instead. How would I go about fixing that? Should
> I make the operator group and add my users into that also? Then make the
> whole /dev directory owned by group operator (or even just certain devices
> that are needed,) or will that cause problems too?

More information, please. An ls -l of the files (and devices) in
question; and the exact text of the error messages you get when you
run them from the shell. From the sound of things, you're right - but
why bother telling you how to fix the wrong problem? The requested
information should tell whether your analysis is correct.

	<mike