Date:      Sun, 17 May 1998 23:59:56 -0400
From:      Aaron Jeremias Luz <aaron@csh.rit.edu>
To:        Jason Bombelyn <root@oasis.zepa.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: networking questions

[Your message contained very long lines.  I've taken the liberty
of reformatting your message.]

On Sun, May 17, 1998 at 07:07:06PM -0400, Jason Bombelyn wrote:
> I have several questions about networking under freebsd.  I am
> currently running slackware linux, and am going to change to freebsd
> tomorrow.  I am using my linux machine as a gateway for my win95
> machine with a 100 base network and a 33.6 modem to dial in to the
> net.
>
> Under linux I had to modify /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 to add the
> addresses for the internal network.  What file do I modify under
> freebsd, and what file do I modify so that I can enable ip
> masquerading?  Under linux it was /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

Rather than having many separate rc files, FreeBSD consolidates
them into one: /etc/rc.conf.  There you may add the addresses for
your internal network.  You do not need to enable kernel IP
masquerading since it is done by a user level library, libalias.

> What lines go in this file?

You typically don't need to put anything in /etc/rc.local.

> My last question is, what file do I modify to get pppd to dial,
> and what file do I modify to specify the username and passwd.

Rather than use pppd, you probably want to use ppp.  User mode ppp
is sort of a combination of diald and pppd under Linux with some
dip like features.  Best of all, it's linked against libalias so
that it can do IP masquerading.  There are a few configuration
files, but the most important one is /etc/ppp/ppp.conf which contains
your login chat script.

> Thanks,
> Jason Bombelyn
> root@oasis.zepa.net