Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 20:28:01 +1000 (Australia/NSW)
From:      Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        kellysm_2k@yahoo.com (Shawn Kelly)
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw vs ipfilter

In some mail from Shawn Kelly, sie said:

> I'm new to FreeBSD and I have a couple of questions regarding firewalls.
>
> What are the major differences between ipfw and ipfilter?

ipfilter is semi-platform independant, ipfw is freebsd specific.
ipfilter logging is via a character device, ipfw uses kernel syslog.

> Is one better than the other? Why? Does it depend on the situation?

ipfw is marginally better for freebsd because it supports all the
freebsd specific hacks - not that this buys you anything wonderful
in terms of filtering.  ipfilter is generally considered to be the
"leading" public domain packet filtering package and I try to ensure
it stays that way :-)  For example, the state tracking code in IP Filter
is still without an equal.  If you are *serious* about your security
you wouldn't use ipfw (by serious I mean not for home/small company
use, where physical security is recognised, etc).

> Which one is receiving more development time?

heh that's a weird question to ask.

I should add that if YOU feel it is important then YOU should add some
worth to them by donating some of your time.

someone should really do a web page that talks about the differences :)