Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 1997 12:06:49 +0100 (MET)
From:      Ola Persson <smurfen@ludd.luth.se>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wradar!

On Mon, 10 Feb 1997, Michael Smith wrote:

> Which part of Esrange were you looking at?  It's not quite a tin-shed
> operation 8)

Well, that was at least my impression :) I was in the main building, the
rocket assembly area, launch area and countdown control center and
satellite navigation control center. It is noyt very impressive to look at
if you ask me, but it was pretty cool still... Fun to know that we
actually have a space program here in Sweden allthough it is not very big.

> The TV satellite control station was full of VMS systems, the Landsat
> ground station looked like lots of DOS systems and an old SGI Power
> Series (but there was noise at some point about BSD boxes appearing
> there too), and there was a huge mess of DOS/Windows/etc. systems
> elsewhere...

Was this in the main building ? There is a building a couple of miles away
that is ran by ESA.. I was never there. In the room where they navigated
the Tele-X satellite they had some cool 'puters, I never had a chance to
check them out real close.

> What were you actually doing there? (if you don't mind me being nosy 8)

Well, my university has a campus in Kiruna too. Kiruna is the closest city
to Esrange. If you have been there you can agree with that it is in the
middle of nowhere. Anyway, we went to Kiruna for a party so we visited
Esrange at the same time ;)

Also, if you have been to Esrange, I will kill you for not tellning me so
we could have met :) *smile*

/Ola

| Ola Persson           | For finger info: smurfen@best.ludd.luth.se  |
| Porsogarden 8:81      | WWW: http://www.ludd.luth.se/users/smurfen  |
| 977 54 Lulea          | We are Bill Gates of Microsoft. You will be |
| SWEDEN                | assimilated. Resistance is futile.          |
| Tel. +46(0)920 15121  | IPhone: smurfen@pub1.ipn.vocaltec.com       |
------------- Hiroshima 45 -- Tjernobyl 86 -- Windows 95 --------------